Christmas Treats 2011
This Christmas, I decided to make various little treats to share with my friends and family. To give away to friends, I made gingersnaps, chocolate candycane cookies, and shortbread squares.
For my parents’ Christmas day party, I made a chocolate peppermint truffle tart and a delightful cheese and crackers spread.
None of these recipes are entirely my own. I added bits and pieces here and there, and made some modifications, but overall, thanks to the world wide web, I found awesome, tried and true recipes already in existence!
For the gingersnaps, I adapted Grandma’s Gingersnaps from allrecipes.com, using half whole wheat flour and half white flour to make it a little healthier, as well as adding in some Trader Joe’s candied ginger bits.
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar for decoration
- chopped candied ginger bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and molasses until well blended. Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir into the molasses mixture to form a dough. Stir in candied ginger. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and roll the balls in the remaining sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the chocolate candycane cookies, I also referred to allrecipes.com. But I added in some crushed candycane bits for some added mintyness as well as color.
Chocolate Candycane Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 5 crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then stir in vanilla and peppermint extracts. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; gradually stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 9 minutes.
I loved baking and making these treats. I know they say home is where the heart is. I say, home is where the heart and food are. 🙂